501 C(3) and 501 C(4) Non-Profit Organizations - What Are the Differences?

501 C(3) and 501 C(4) Non-Profit Organizations - What Are the Differences?

Nonprofit organizations under 501C(3) are for charitable purposes and are tax-exempt based on this Section of the Internal Revenue Service Code. A 501C(4) designation is granted to non-profit organizations that are operated for social welfare. While the differences between these two non-profit entities may be slight, they are significant.

While charitable and social welfare organizations are quite similar, the differences are what set these two entities apart with the IRS and exempt status. Charitable purposes are for public benefit which might not necessarily mean charitable as described by a person. Both of these non-profits are exempt from federal income taxes and classified as exempt. To process paperwork through a 501C(3) or 501C(4), the person creating the startup must ensure the IRS is informed and the exact forms are used either online or through person to person interactions. This is important and must be performed 60 days after the entity has been established. 

The entities of the charitable or social welfare must ensure that revenue is not accrued to keep the status of a non-profit. The person or group that created the organization may initiate fundraisers, contact others for sponsorship or find investors. There are certain forms that must be filed and completed based on the actions to receive funds from others. Clients or business relationships that are connected to the non-profit may also need to be detailed on certain documentation. It is crucial to remain a non-profit and not violate the terms and conditions of these situations.

The 501C(3) Explained

For a non-profit organization to be considered an exempt entity, it must have been established and then filed by the owner or party that created it with the Internal Revenue Service. These entities are generally public charities, private foundations or a private operating foundation established specifically for these purposes. The United States Department of Treasury regulates and administers these organizations with the IRs. Most notable entities that fall within or qualify as exempt with the 501C(3) are corporations, a form of trust, community chests, a specific LLC and an unincorporated association. These are primarily non-profit and do not own assets.

The 501C(4) Explained

These non-profit entities are also managed by the IRS and exempted from taxation. There are two types of organizations that are deemed 501C(4) to include social welfare and local associations. The social welfare entity may involve civic leagues, and similar items where organizations are not attempting to accrue profits but are for the social welfare of others. Local associations may be for employees, or homeowners. This includes a membership with limited workers for a specific municipality and any earnings are for charitable, instructive or entertaining reasons. HOAs and volunteer companies may be considered a 501C(4) entity if requirements are met. There must be a substantial lobbying of activities that are deemed social welfare for qualification.

Resolving Differences with the Wrong Non-Profit

If the owner or group that has established a non-profit organization has created the wrong one based on the specifics supplied by the IRS, it is important to contact a representative to alter and change the paperwork so the entity may have the correct categorization and appropriate documentation. If the entity has been incorrectly represented on paper, this could lead to legal problems or a revocation of tax exemption. There are other problems that could lead to a dissolution of the organization, and correcting the matter becomes crucial to keep it running. The owner or board needs to first understand if he or she has established the wrong non-profit and then work towards adjusting this for a fix.

While the differences between the 501C(3) and 501C(4) are subtle, the legal specifics are wide enough to change the classification and categorization of the organization. These documents and forms usually do not alter the name or other processes of the entity, but they do need to be filed appropriately with the branches of the government to retain and acquire tax exemption. It is important to communicate with an expert in these matters for clarification if a mistake has been made. Then, a resolution to the problem should be enacted swiftly to remove any other complications that could arise.

Legal Help in 501C(3) or 501C(4) Entities

If any issues arise with starting or maintaining one of these entities, it is crucial to contact a lawyer to ensure the complications are minimal and resolved in a timely manner. The legal representative will work to protect the rights of the organization and the client.

No comments yet. Be the first to add a comment!